IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR UNIT 1 CONTRACT LECTURERS
In order to put forth the best possible job application, we encourage members to address the following selection categories, set out by university management, in their application package:
- relevant academic degrees, credentials and professional designations
- relevant work and/or community experience in the professional field or discipline; extent of university teaching experience; experience teaching the same or equivalent course at Ryerson University or equivalent course at another university
- demonstrated evidence of having maintained up-to-date knowledge (including practice skills, where appropriate) in the specific field or discipline and/or
- demonstrated evidence of having maintained academic currency in the specific field or discipline relevant to the course including publication(s) in peer reviewed journals, presentations or attendance at relevant academic conferences, as well as attendance/participation at relevant teaching conferences, workshops, seminars, etc.
- ability to teach effectively in a university environment as demonstrated by tools such as Contract Lecturer Assessment forms and Faculty Course Survey results and equivalent documentation
- demonstrated ability to interact effectively with colleagues and students, ability to work effectively in groups, ability to resolve conflicts constructively, ability to carry out the duties and obligations of a Contract Lecturer in a respectful manner, and ability to empathize with others and consider varied perspectives
PLEASE NOTE: We encourage all Unit 1 members to use the various resources available through the employer, including the workshops offered by Ryerson University’s Learning and Teaching Office (LTO), that
demonstrate how to create an effective Teaching Dossier.
Professional and/or academic currency, together with education (degrees obtained), relevant teaching and professional experience, and demonstrated teaching skills and effectiveness, should be highlighted when applying for Unit 1 Contract Lecturer appointments.